Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thursday, November 22, 2018: Day 7

3:00am is the Worst!

Well, here we are again: The anxiety, the anger, the sadness, the suffering. Pretty much every morning at this time my brain decides to go on a "crazy bender". This time it was real estate related -- specifically, the remnants of my real estate career. Maybe more on that later...

So, what happens? 3:00am ish comes around and I wake up in an absolute panic. That being said, I have noticed the sense of panic is diminishing over past weeks. I hope that's a sign that my subconscious is sorting things out and healing. God, I really hope so... I guess I have to say that this time I used mindfulness techniques to get me out of my panic state. I told myself that this is something I'm going through, that I'm only experiencing thoughts and that I need to acknowledge that I'm feeling the sensations of panic. I then came downstairs and starting writing this post. Forty some-odd minutes later and I'm feeling okay. Not 100%, but better. 

I guess, without thinking, I used the S.T.O.P. technique to bring myself down. That included:
  • Stopping. I stopped everything: physically, mentally. Grounded myself to where I am. Became aware of the sensations around me
  • Taking a step back. I basically said to myself "Whoa! What the fuck!?!?" My brain went on a bender again. I'm not in any danger. I can get through this. 
  • Observe all of the sensations. First, I was feeling panic. That felt like a rushing mind, pressure in my head, the feeling of elevated breathing and heart rate. Once I acknowledged the feelings, the feelings and sensations started to decrease. As I write this, they're not totally gone, but I do have the wherewithal to write this post.
  • Proceed Mindfully. I am accepting that I feel this way and letting myself experience the sensations. I'm not giving them power over me, but acknowledging that my subconscious is working some shit out. It manifests itself  through dreams, emotions and feelings. Although what I feel is real, I'm only experiencing thoughts. I can proceed and move forward. 
There, writing that feels better. 

So, you curious where my brain went? As I mentioned, this time around it was the remnants of my real estate career. My real estate career has definitely followed the pattern of the local market; tanking. Eighteen months ago things were okay. But six months later, signs of tanking were becoming brutally evident and I made some decisions that didn't quite meet my expectations. I'm now considering walking away for a while, whilst I heal and the market becomes viable again. I suppose it was fun while it lasted.

I can't think about my real estate career without including my ex-business partner. Let's call her Kate. Kate and I got started several years back when we were basically matched up. Our relationship was tumultuous at best. It never should have been. I really don't want to spend the rest of my night thinking and writing about Kate, but, now that things are all said and done, I'm still left with wondering why she blatantly lied to me about being friends, even colleagues? Kate, your actions spoke louder than your words. I was an idiot for not recognizing it. Even months later she reached out to me asking for some resources. I blindly handed them over. Why? Because I thought we were friends. I was so, so stupid. 

How do I feel now? I'm tying not to care. I want to not care how she's doing, if she's doing well or not. I can't afford to give her any brain space. We spent something like four years working together. I spent more time and have more pictures of Kate in my phone than I do of my wife. What the fuck!?!? Right!?!? From what I gather she went from riding my coattails to riding another person's coattails... The irony is the person Kate is now "working" with is the same person she/we regularly talked down, even ridiculed behind closed doors on a fairly regular basis. I'm left wondering if Kate is a manipulative user? I gave her a lot. Now that we're done she's moved on to the next. Huh! Good luck with that. 

Anyways... Sorry for missing yesterday. Getting used to the new jobs and new routine is extremely tiresome. But, the jobs seem to be going well and my first payday in months is coming up here. It feels pretty good. 

Thanks again for reading. 

 Are you experiencing a mental health crisis? 
  • Go to the nearest hospital, or
  • Call 911, or
  • Call a crisis line (Canada)

2 comments:

  1. It's said that waking up at the same time every night (between 1 and 3am) is a sign that you're undergoing a revolution . Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I suck at blogging, but getting back in the saddle.

      Delete